Ausangate Trek 4 Days and Rainbow Mountain Tour
Ausangate trek 4 days
The difference between Classic Inca Trail 4 Days to Machu Picchu and Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 4 Days, One of the best trails that offers the Most beautiful landscapes of Peru, with which one can be astonished, is the Ausangate trek to Rainbow Mountain, located above 5000 meters above sea level / 16000 feet,
The Ausangate snow-capped mountain is an imposing view that can be contemplated from the city of Cusco.
The more we are near the Ausangate trail, you will be amazed by the landscapes that are on the way to the Ausangate trail
On the way, we will observe the Andean wildlife, among the main ones, the llamas, alpacas, Vicunas, and as we are lucky the Andean fox.
- DAY 01: Cusco – Upis Village – Upis Hot Springs.
- DAY 02: Upis Hot Springs – Puka Qocha.
- DAY 03: Puka Qocha – Qomer Qocha.
- DAY 04: Qomer Qocha – Rainbow Mountains – Cusco.
The perfect option for trekking in Cusco before or after visiting Machu Picchu.
- Activities:, Hiking, Nature, Mountains
- Minimum altitude: 39000 m.a.s.l.
- Maximum altitude: 5200 m.a.s.l.
- Hotel: Campsite
- Group size: customized groups and private services.
- When to travel: All year round, but March to December is recommended.
Hightlights to Ausangate Trails
Ausangate with an altitude of 6385 masl, is considered one of the highest mountains in Cusco, and one of the five highest mountains in Peru.
It is located in the Cordillera del Vilcanota, together with the snow-capped Salkantay, which are considered the sacred mountains that the Inkas worshiped.
Ausangate has a meaning in the Andean cosmovision as a sacred mountain. From its mountain ranges, the Salca River is born, which is part of the Urubamba River, that crosses the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu.
Cusco – Upis Village – Upis Hot Springs
The 7-color mountain or Rainbow Mountain is one of the most popular places in recent years. So today we will dive into the mountain ranges of Ausangate to know it.
We will start with the pick up from your hotel at 4:00 am, to take our private transportation to Pitumarca, where we can do some shopping for the trip. From here we will continue to the community of Q’esuyuno, where we can enjoy beautiful landscapes surrounded by canyons, agricultural terraces, and some local communities.
In the Q’esuyuno Community we will get our luggage ready to start our hike to the Kayrawiry community where we will have our first lunch, rest a little and continue our hike to the 7 colors Mountain, we will enjoy an incredible view of the colors of the Rainbow Mountain, after about 30 minutes we will walk back to Kayrawiry, where we will have our tents set up for our first camp, and after our dinner prepared by the chef we will rest until the next day.
- Lodging: Camping equipment in Kayrawiry
- Altitude: 4800 masl / 15,748 ft.
- Hiking time: 5 to 6 hours.
- Meals: lunch and dinner.
Upis Hot Springs – Puka Qocha
At dawn we will enjoy a delicious cup of coca tea, and take our breakfast and start the hike to Ausangate Lake. Throughout the journey we will enjoy the beautiful scenery surrounded by mountains, lakes, snowy peaks, we will start the hike to the highest peaks of the Andes, and continue until you reach the Paso del Condor at 5100 masl (16732 ft), on the way we can see the majestic snow-capped Ausangate.
Once at the top of the Condor Pass we will see the snow-capped Ausangate and a beautiful inter-Andean valley with camelids such as the llama and alpaca.
After a well-deserved rest at the Condor Pass, we will start the hike downhill where a delicious lunch awaits us and rest to replenish our energy. And continue our hike to the Ausangate Lagoon. Where we will set up our second camp for the night.
- Lodging: camping equipment
- Elevation: 5100 m (16730 ft)
- Hiking time: 12 to 13 hours.
- Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Puka Qocha – Qomer Qocha
At dawn as usual we will enjoy a nutritious breakfast, to start our hike. On our way, we will experience beautiful views of lakes and waterfalls, and we will also be able to see Vicunas and alpacas grazing.
Continuing on we will ascend to the Abra Campo pass located at 5000 masl (16404 ft), where we will discover beautiful views. Here we will have the option to see wild Vicunas, whose wool is considered the most expensive in the world. Then we will continue our hike until we reach the lunch point where a delicious lunch awaits us, after 2 hours and a half of walking we will arrive at Qampa, where we can camp and spend a quiet night.
- Lodging: camping in Jampa
- Meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Elevation: 5000m / 16,404ft
Qomer Qocha – Rainbow Mountains – Cusco.
After a well-deserved rest in the Peruvian Andes, we prepare for our last hike. We will start the hike until we reach the base of the glacier and then the top of the mountain. To enjoy a spectacular view of the Vilcanota. Continuing we will arrive to the place of our last lunch. Continuing we will pass by the Qomer Lake, before arriving to the Pacchanta Community.
In Pacchanta we can enjoy a refreshing bath in its hot springs, then take our transportation back to the city of Cusco.
- Meals: breakfast, lunch.
- Elevation: 4500 masl / 14,763 ft.
- Hiking time: 5 to 6 hours.
- Private transportation to the start of the hike.
- Professional English or Spanish speaking guide.
- Meals according to the itinerary.
- Personal luggage of 7 kilos.
- Duffel bag for your personal belongings.
- Camping equipment: Spacious tents; dining tent, kitchen tent, toilet tent.
- Pack horses for luggage transport.
- Emergency horse for riding.
- First aid kit and emergency oxygen balloon.
- Breakfast on the 1st day.
- Dinner on the last day.
- Sleeping bag – $ 20 USD per person
- Air mattress – $ 20 USD per person.
- Hiking poles – $ 15 USD per pair
- Personal tent – $ 30 USD
- Gratuities for crew, guide, cook and porters.
- Water: provide your own water until the first lunch spot, then we will provide cold boiled water at each meal. Please bring your canteens.
- Sun hat
- Headlamp: essential
- Wool hat
- Rain gear
- Snacks such as chocolate bars, cereal bars or dried fruits.
- Plastic rain poncho.
- Toilet paper and small plastic garbage bag
- Extra money for souvenirs, beverages and tips
Your Travel Guide at a glance
How to get to Ausangate trek 4 days (Tinqui) from Cusco?
The hike begins in a small village Tinqui (sometimes written Tinki), 100 km from Cusco. It is very easy to get there by public bus from Cusco. The bus departs from Terminal Paradero Livitaca (easy to find on Google Maps), which is near the Coliseo Cerrado, a modern stadium. The ticket costs 10 Soles/US$3, and takes about 2.5 hours.
Many hikers find it more convenient to leave the planning and logistics in the hands of an experienced company that knows the area. Runnatrip is a group of professional hikers who can guide you to experience the beauty of this amazing trek. Check that they can organize a trek up Ausangate, you just have to reserve your place!
Confort Level Aremika Travel Expeditions
Frequently Asked Questions
How difficult is Ausangate Trek?
Ausangate trek difficulty, to be able to make this adventure it is necessary to have a suitable state of health, not to have respiratory diseases and good physical condition, the Ausangate trek is hard because it is done over 4200 meters above sea level, if you want to make this adventure you must have intermediate experience in trekking at high altitudes.
How long is the Ausangate Trek?
Ausangate trek offers different options of visit, the shortest is Ausangate trek 2 days, and the longest is Ausangate trek 6 days, even if you want to make more tours can be extended up to 10 to 15 days.
How do I get to Ausangate mountain?
The best way to get here is with a travel company, who will provide all the necessary equipment such as tents, poles, food, to make this tour unique.
Where is Ausangate mountain?
Ausangate is located at 100 kilometers from the city of Cusco, in the district of Ocongate, province of Quispicanchi, department of Cusco, considered one of the highest in Cusco with 6384 meters above sea level.
- Ausangate trek altitude:Ausangate is located at 6384 masl, considered one of the highest mountains in Cusco, and the hike takes place between 4200 and 5500 masl.
- Ausangate trek without guide: the trek to Ausangate, it is recommended to do it with a professional guide prepared in high mountain tourism, because the tour is done over 4500 meters above sea level and with heights that reach over 5500 meters above sea level, and to make an adventure without a professional it is possible that you can get lost in the journey.
- Ausangate trek companies: There are many companies that offer this service, here it is not advisable to take for an economic price, we Aremika Expeditions have experienced professionals, graduates in Tourism and specialized in High Mountain, with the right equipment so you can take a great experience of this beautiful trail.
- Ausangate rainbow mountain: If you are looking for an amazing adventure, this 4 days Salkantrek route with Rainbow Mountain is a complete option to take with you great memories of the Peruvian Andes.