Salkantay Trek 3 Days to Machu Picchu
Salkantay Trek 3 days through Machu Picchu offers amazing scenery and great ecological biodiversity.
About the Salkantay Trek 3 days to Machu Picchu
Salkantay trek offers a spectacular landscape with great ecological diversity, the journey that starts with a cold-weather at 4200 masl and ends with a warm-weather at 1800 masl.
We will visit the main tourist attractions of the Salkantay snow, the Humantay lake, and the inter-Andean villages.
Among the recognized Salkantay trek we can mention that the National Geographic Adventure Travel magazine, decided to include it in the 50 best excursions in the modern world, and chose the route as one of the best to do it.
- SALKANTAY TREK DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – COLPAPAMPA.
- SALKANTAY TREK DAY 2: COLPAPAMPA – PLAYA SIHUAYACO – HIDROELECTRICA.
- SALKANTAY TREK DAY 3: MACHU PICCHU PUEBLO – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO.
- Duration: 3 days / 2 nights
- Max. Elevation: 4,600 (Salkantay Pass)
- Start/finish: Cusco City
- Difficulty: Challenging
- Trek style: Adventure trekking / Camping Trek
- Type of Tour: adventure, culture, and history.
- Transport: bus, trekking, and train.
This Salkantay Trek 3 Day has spectacular views, snow-capped mountains, glaciers, turquoise lakes, Andean plateaus, waterfalls, and a high jungle. It even includes an original Inca trail to a small Inca ruin and a distant view of Machu Picchu, before reaching the famous city. This hike is approximately 60 km/37 miles and climbs to 4,600 m/15,092 ft. It is the second most popular hike in the Cusco region (after the Inca Trail), so it is quite crowded.
DAY 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – COLPAPAMPA
We will start our hike with a pickup from your hotel between 4:00 and 4:30 am, in our private transport about 2 hours to Mollepata, which is located over 2900 masl, on the way we will enjoy extensive fields of agriculture and farming.
From here, we will go by car for 1 hour and a half to Soraypampa at 3675 masl. During the trip you will be able to see the Salkantay and Humantay mountain.
We will hike for two and a half hours downhill to Huayrac-Pampa where we will have 1 hour and a half to have lunch and rest and then continue the descent from 3900 m/ 12,800 ft to 2900 m/ 9500 ft, until we arrive to our campsite in Colpapampa, to have our dinner and rest until the next day.
COLPAPAMPA – PLAYA SIHUAYACO - HIDROLECTRICA
At 6:00 am we will have breakfast and then continue our hike for about 5 hours a half hours through beautiful inter-Andean valleys.
On the way, we will appreciate coffee plantations, orchids, and cloud forests, as well as a variety of medicinal plants.
Arriving at Sahuayaco beach we will enjoy a traditional lunch, and after a short rest, we will take our transportation to Hydroelectric. From here we will begin our 3-hour hike to Machu Picchu Pueblo, surrounded by beautiful flora and fauna.
Arriving at Machu Picchu Pueblo, we will go to our hotel to have our last dinner and our guide will give us the instructions for the excursion to the historic sanctuary of Machu Picchu.
MACHUPICCHU PUEBLO – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
Very early at 4:00 a.m., we will have breakfast at the hotel and start a 2-hour hike to the Inca site of Machu Picchu, we will have a tour of 2 hours and a half inside Machu Picchu, wherefrom the Guardian’s house we will observe the archeological Inca citadel, we will visit temples, streets, terraces and other archaeological remains of the Inca culture.
At the end of the tour we will return to the town of Machu Picchu, where you will have free time for additional activities such as; the Museum of Machu Picchu, the butterfly farm, visit the hot springs and the waterfall of Machu Picchu, or if you want you can visit the market of Aguas Calientes, which can be done 30 minutes before the departure of the train.
Our return to Ollantaytambo is 1 hour and 40 minutes. When you get off the train our private transportation will be waiting to take you back to the city.
We will finish our tour leaving our travelers in their hotels or near the Plaza de Armas.
- Transportation Cusco – Mollepata – Challacancha
- Professional Guide (English – Spanish)
- Horses and Porters (only carry camping equipment)
- Meals: 2 breakfasts / 2 lunches / 2 dinners
- Professional Guide (English – Spanish)
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes (Posada de Olger – Denny’s House)
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Tents and camping equipment
- First aid kit
- Machu Picchu Town – Ollantaytambo train
- Transportation Ollantaytambo – Cusco
- Oxygen balloon
- The first breakfast (day 1).
- The last lunch (day 3).
- Huaynapicchu or Machu Picchu-Mountain Entrance.
- Sleeping bag
- Entrance to Salkantay (S/10.00)
- Aguas Calientes CONSETTUR Bus Tickets Round Trip.
- Food not mentioned in the program.
- Expenses not mentioned in the itinerary.
- Carry a small backpack for the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu
- Flashlight for the Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu.
- Thermal clothing, raincoat, sunscreen.
- Mosquito repellent, lipstick.
- Bottle of water
- Jacket or Poncho
- Camera, external battery, camera memory stick
|# Of Persons||Price per person||Total ($ USD)||Book Now|
Your Travel Guide at a glance
More from Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu
As all the Inca trails can be done on your own or with an agency (except the Inca Trail, which by regulation can only be done with authorized agencies), the departure is from the city of Cusco and you have to go to Av. Arcopata from where buses leave daily to Mollepata.
* In case you cannot find a bus to Soraypampa you will have to walk from Mollepata, this hike takes approximately 8 hours.
This first day you can stay camping in Soraypampa or make the ascent to the Abra del Salkantay (4600 masl) and camp on the other side of the mountain and in the jungle area.
Arriving at the Abra del Salkantay you will be able to appreciate unique rock agglomerations called “Apachetas” that are made by the hikers who pass through this place as a symbol of respect to the mountain and as a request for any wish they have, this is a custom that comes from Inca times and even earlier cultures.
The descent route to pass the Abra de Salkantay is a jungle and passes through villages such as Chaullay, Colquepampa, La Playa, and others.
The options to stay this day are to stay at La Playa or Santa Teresa and the next day leave for Hidroeléctrica by bus or walking to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu village) and finally visit the citadel of Machu Picchu.
The return can be done by train to Ollantaytambo or by Hydroelectric, everything will depend on your time and budget.